close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Out of State Title

Motor vehicles, motorboats, ATV's and minibikes coming into Nebraska from  another state are  required to obtain a Nebraska Certificate of Title, unless they fall into the category of Motor Vehicles Exempt from Titling.

To obtain a title, the following documentation, properly assigned, must be  surrendered to the County where the vehicle has tax situs (where you reside):

  • Certificate of Title from vehicle's previous state of title. Note: if previous state was NOT a title-issuing state,you will need the vehicle(s) last registration and if ownership is transferring, a notarized Bill of Sale
  • Application for Certificate of Title
  • Sheriff's Inspection:  Located at 707 North Washington Street, Lexington, NE 68850  Fee is $10.00
  • A copy of Security Agreement if previous state's title indicates an open lien

The fee for a Certificate of Title is $10.00, if there is an open lien the fee is $17.00.

If the ownership of the vehicle is not changing, but the owners are  relocating to Nebraska, and the lien holder is securing the title, the following  must be completed prior to registering your vehicle in Dawson County:

  • An Application for Certificate of Title must be submitted to one of our offices.  The application must be completed and signed including     the name and address of the lien holder.

The Dawson County Treasurer's Office will contact the lien holder; the lien  holder will send your current out-of-state title to our office.  Upon receipt of the out-of-state title, we will notify the customer of the  Nebraska state inspection requirements.  When the inspection is completed,  a Nebraska title with your current lien holder's information noted will be sent  to your lien holder.

To register the vehicle, you will need proof of insurance and prior  registration from the previous state.  If the previous registration is not  available, a receipt showing proof of payment for the sales tax is required.

According to State of Nebraska Statues Section 60-366, you must register  your vehicle in this county after thirty (30) days of residence in this state.